I’m not going to say that life will never be the same again – life WILL be the same again. But for the moment, and for as long as it has to be, our lives are going to be different.
So here are a few positive thoughts about this strange situation that we all find ourselves in. Lord knows we need to cling on to the positive.
- With fewer cars on the road, there will be fewer road traffic accidents.
- With no-one out drinking, there will be fewer fights, no-one throwing up in doorways, no instantly regretted one night stands.
- With most shops closed, there will be less shop-lifting.
- With no-one out and about there will be less litter dropped.
- Fewer cars on the roads means less pollution.
- We’re saving money on petrol, clothes, haircuts, meals out, cinema tickets.
- Limited access to beauty spots and so on, particularly at this time of the year, will give plants and animals chance to breed/flower, and generally get on with it, without being disturbed.
- Everyone off work from a job that was causing them stress has a few weeks to recover themselves and, maybe, work out what they can do about it.
- Constant hand-washing, and the sanitizing of anything that doesn’t move, will mean that fewer people catch the common cold, seasonal flu or the norovirus – and a myriad other things.
- We are learning the vital role that some of the lowest paid members of the workforce play in keeping things going. Hopefully we will remember for long enough to give them the appreciation they deserve when this is all over.
- Some of us have spoken to neighbours we’ve never spoken to before.
- We no longer need to mix with those ‘friends’ we don’t like.
- Time. In our busy lives we all complained that we never had enough time. Now it’s available in abundance.
I’m sure there are more. Let me know the upsides you’ve discovered – how are you using your time to best advantage?
Stay safe. Stay sane.
Scroll all the way down to Follow, Share, Like or Comment on this. And check out my ‘Sixty and Me’ badge.
I always reply to Comments from nice people.